While Sweet Vine Winery left us scratching our heads earlier today, Southern Charm Winery offered a fantastic wine tasting – both in environment and selection. My personal favorite: the Vintage Red. As an Amerone wine, the Vintage Red is an old vine zinfandel – dry, spicy and peppery with lots of florals and hints of cocoa and vanilla. Of the other wines offered, I tasted three whites, in addition to their Soaring Eagle, which had more of a toasty vanilla flavor than the Vintage Red, but not as many flavors and the Lincoln Red (a delicious , velvety, oaky Cabernet Sauvignon that might have peaked my interest had it not followed the Vintage Red), and the South Fork Red.
I did purchase a bottle of the Vintage Red before heading onward to our next stop…and fervently hoped that the upcoming wine tastings to come did not give reason to further drain my bank account.
With no vineyards or attractive landscapes on the premise to divert my attention away from the wines, they essentially had to speak for themselves. Still, with friendly staff, a quaint, small-town tasting room and shoppe, and exceptionally flavorful wines, Southern Charm lives up to its name!
- Southern Charm Winery, Vintage Red ($18) – an old vine zinfandel; dry, spicy and peppery with lots of florals and hints of cocoa and vanilla
- Southern Charm Winery, South Fork Red ($15) – Merlot smelling of berries, hints of coconut, peppery finish
Other Tasting Notables:
- Southern Charm Winery, White Laurel – dry pino grigio
- Southern Charm Winery, Honeysuckle – green apple Riesling
- Southern Charm Winery, Carolina White – a fruity, wild Muscadine
- Southern Charm Winery, Soaring Eagle – toasty vanilla flavors
- Southern Charm Winery, Lincoln Red -velvety, oaky Cabernet Sauvignon